Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Top 5 Sources of Information and News

Before I start, it is important to note that I was raised in a single news-source type family, specifically Fox News. During the 2020 pandemic, I gained a new appreciation for news and quickly realized just one news source would never do the trick. Typically, when I catch wind of new information, I search the topic on multiple stations to see what each one has to say. There are also local stations I check when I am back in Texas, and websites I browse for news on my interests. 

My go-to for any information is Google News. Being that it is a news aggregator, a simple search of the word "News" allows the search engine to direct you to a broad list of all the top new stories on various websites. I enjoy this search engine because it does all the searching for me, it often offers up stations that tend to oppose each other, such as Fox and CNN, with stories on the same subject right next to each other. This lets me gather information from differing sites in a quick and easy manner. 

Whenever I am not in the mood to use Google News, I typically take my curiosity to The New York Times. One reason is that I find the website itself easy to maneuver. I appreciate the numerous topic tabs on the home page that include topics ranging from the world and the U.S., to books and arts. Because the NYT is a well-known company, I feel that the writers of the articles have a level of professionalism that other stations may not have consistently. Of course, they are not perfect, as no journalist is, but I tend to appreciate these articles a tad more from personal preference

Aside from national or global news, sometimes I am searching for things related to my hometown, San Antonio Texas. MySA is a news outlet that covers almost entirely stories related to San Antonio. This includes political matters, but also things like restaurants, sports, and shopping. The website homepage even includes a tab for my favorite (struggling) basketball team, the Spurs. This website keeps me up to date with everything I may be missing at home during my time here in NC.


While I try to stay up to date on political and particularly important news, it can often get a bit heavy. For this reason, I find myself indulging in the dramatic world of entertainment on E! News. Entertainment news is something I enjoy looking at every now and then for things like celebrity drama, interviews, new movie information, etc. I also like how it is not all articles, but also contains many pictures and videos. 



Since I participate in the equestrian sport, Eventing, a lot of the news I pay attention to is related to that world. The United States Eventing Association has a website that not only has relevant news stories, but also national placings, a competition calendar, and the rulebook. I love this website because the articles are often about important things that interest me. They are often about big event venues, tips from professional riders, inspiring stories, and so on. I find that I spend more time on this website than any of the others mentioned because it's my favorite topic.




No comments:

Post a Comment